Purple Bull Racing’s Max Verstappen drove brilliantly on Sunday on the 2022 System 1 Belgian Grand Prix, transferring from 14th on the grid to first place by the tip of the race.
Fellow Purple Bull driver Sergio Perez got here in second some 17.8 seconds behind to assist deliver residence his workforce’s fourth one-two end of the yr, whereas pole-sitter Carlos Sainz completed third for Ferrari, roughly 26.8 seconds behind the winner.
When the lights turned inexperienced at a sun-drenched Spa-Francorchamps, Sainz comfortably saved the lead regardless of one of the best makes an attempt of Perez, who additionally began on the entrance of the grid. Alpine’s Fernando Alonso and Mercedes-Benz AMG’s Lewis Hamilton had been quickly capable of go Perez, however an aggressive transfer by Hamilton noticed the Mercedes driver come into contact with Alonso. It was the tip of the race for Hamilton on the primary lap, and a lap later there was a security automotive interval after Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas spun out whereas making an attempt to keep away from the Williams of Nicholas Latifi.
In the meantime Verstappen, who topped Saturday’s qualifying, began the race at 14th as a consequence of a penalty for swapping in a brand new energy unit. The reigning world champion was already at eighth place after the race resumed on lap three following the exit of the protection automotive, and by lap eight he was third, with Perez and Sainz nonetheless forward.
2022 System 1 Belgian Grand Prix
Perez would later hand second place to Verstappen, and Sainz would finally lose the lead spot to Verstappen by lap 19. Sainz would then additionally lose second place to Perez simply two laps later because of the sheer tempo of the Purple Bull vehicles.
Mercedes’ George Russell completed fourth after beginning at fifth, whereas Alonso, regardless of his early setback, managed to complete the race in fifth.
It was one other dangerous day for Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc. Particles entered one in every of his automotive’s brake ducts early within the race, trigger an unscheduled pit cease and dropping the driving force to seventeenth place. Nonetheless, he was capable of transfer as much as sixth place by the tip of the race.
Following the weekend’s motion, Verstappen’s lead within the 2022 Drivers’ Championship additional prolonged, with the Purple Bull driver now sitting on 284 factors. Perez has moved again into second with 191 factors, whereas Leclerc is now in third with 186 factors. Within the Constructors’ Championship, Purple Bull leads with 475 factors, versus the 357 of Ferrari and 316 of Mercedes. The subsequent race on the calendar is the Dutch Grand Prix scheduled for the approaching weekend.
Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz on the 2022 System 1 Belgian Grand Prix
Under are the complete outcomes from the 2022 System 1 Belgian Grand Prix:
1) Max Verstappen, Purple Bull Racing
2) Sergio Perez, Purple Bull Racing +17.841 seconds
3) Carlos Sainz, Ferrari +26.886 seconds
4) George Russell, Mercedes-Benz AMG +29.140 seconds
5) Fernando Alonso, Alpine +73.256 seconds
6) Charles Leclerc, Ferrari +74.936 seconds
7) Esteban Ocon, Alpine +75.640 seconds
8) Sebastian Vettel, Aston Martin +78.107 seconds
9) Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri +92.181 seconds
10) Alexander Albon, Williams +101.900 seconds
11) Lance Stroll, Aston Martin +103.078 seconds
12) Lando Norris, McLaren +104.739 seconds
13) Yuki Tsunoda, AlphaTauri +105.217 seconds
14) Zhou Guanyu, Alfa Romeo +106.252 seconds
15) Daniel Ricciardo, McLaren +107.163 seconds
16) Kevin Magnussen, Haas +1 lap
17) Mick Schumacher, Haas +1 lap
18) Nicholas Latifi, Williams +1 lap
NC) Valtteri Bottas, Alfa Romeo – DNF
NC) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes-Benz AMG – DNF