Pink Bull Racing’s Max Verstappen wowed the house crowd on Sunday with an exhilarating victory on the 2022 Method 1 Dutch Grand Prix, held on the historic Circuit Zandvoort.
Mercedes-Benz AMG’s Lewis Hamilton was within the lead spot within the remaining laps however Verstappen took benefit of a late security automotive interval to modify to mushy tires, and in a transfer that mirrored his championship-winning race in Abu Dhabi final season was in a position to move the Mercedes driver, who stayed out on older medium tires.
Hamilton was additionally handed by fellow Mercedes driver George Russell, who completed 4 seconds after Verstappen in second, in addition to by Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, who completed 10 seconds after the winner in third. Hamilton claimed fourth in the long run whereas Pink Bull’s Sergio Perez rounded out the highest 5.
Verstappen began the race on pole and comfortably led till the halfway level when Hamilton pulled into the entrance. Verstappen appeared to be incapable of reclaiming the lead however the trajectory modified, first when AlphaTauri’s Yuki Tsunoda suffered automotive hassle on lap 48, requiring the digital security automotive to be referred to as.
2022 Method 1 Dutch Grand Prix
Then it was Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas who got here to a cease on lap 55, which introduced out the yellow flags. One lap later, the security automotive was deployed, and Verstappen moved in for the softs below the ultimate warning. The protection automotive left the observe on the finish of lap 60 and with higher tempo from his mushy tires, Verstappen simply handed Hamilton to retake the lead and the win.
In the meantime at Ferrari, there was frustration for Carlos Sainz who was delayed throughout his pit cease when one of many tires wasn’t prepared for the change. Sainz ended up dropping roughly 9 seconds and a number of positions.
Then in a second cease, Sainz needed to decelerate to keep away from some McLaren pit crew forward of him, which then held up Alpine’s Fernando Alonso. The incident was deemed to be an unsafe launch and Sainz was given a 5 second penalty in consequence. He ended up ending the race in fifth, however the penalty dropped him again to eighth.
Verstappen now has a commanding lead within the 2022 Drivers’ Championship because of a tally of 310 factors, versus an equal 201 factors for each Perez and Leclerc. Within the Constructors’ Championship, Pink Bull leads with 511 factors. Ferrari is second with 376 factors and Mercedes is third with 346 factors. The following race on the calendar is the Italian Grand Prix scheduled for this weekend.
Pink Bull Racing on the 2022 Method 1 Dutch Grand Prix
Beneath are the total outcomes from the 2022 Method 1 Dutch Grand Prix:
1) Max Verstappen, Pink Bull Racing
2) George Russell, Mercedes-Benz AMG +4.071 seconds
3) Charles Leclerc, Ferrari +10.929 seconds
4) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes-Benz AMG +13.016 seconds
5) Sergio Perez, Pink Bull Racing +18.168 seconds
6) Fernando Alonso, Alpine +18.754 seconds
7) Lando Norris, McLaren +19.306 seconds
8) Carlos Sainz, Ferrari +20.916 seconds
9) Esteban Ocon, Alpine +21.117 seconds
10) Lance Stroll, Aston Martin +22.459 seconds
11) Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri +27.009 seconds
12) Alexander Albon, Williams +30.390 seconds
13) Mick Schumacher, Haas +32.995 seconds
14) Sebastian Vettel, Aston Martin +36.007 seconds
15) Kevin Magnussen, Haas +36.869 seconds
16) Zhou Guanyu, Alfa Romeo +37.320 seconds
17) Daniel Ricciardo, McLaren +37.764 seconds
18) Nicholas Latifi, Williams +1 lap
NC) Valtteri Bottas, Alfa Romeo – DNF
NC) Yuki Tsunoda, AlphaTauri – DNF